Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Week 3 - Hluhuwe Camp


Three new volunteers arrived last Monday, Allyse (21, Texas), Annemiek (19, Netherlands) and Claire (20, France).  Twice this week we got to have a treat by going on foot out into the bush to search for cheetah scented trees.  We were of course accompanied by an armed ranger.  We did this in the location where we previously saw the cheetah cub from week 1 and in the place we saw 2 subadult cheetahs hunting this week – they didn’t catch their prey, but it was really amazing to see them running across the hill in pursuit of a red duiker.  We found no scented trees in the area of the cub sighting, but we did have to avoid an elephant.  We also didn’t find any scented trees in the area of the 2 hunters, but we did see cheetah tracks and trees that would be suitable for them, which we GPSed so we can come back and install a game camera on.  I also had a lot of fun trying to identify the different poo we came across – I think I’m going to make a poo ID book when I get home J.

The Crossroads wild dog pack has been regularly sighted in one particular area for most of the week, but we’ve also heard a lot of hyena calling in the same area and hope the dogs don’t get into any fights with them.  We were able to find all 7 of them last Thursday night and they played in the light of our headlights for a bit before disappearing into the darkness again.  We were also able to find a signal for the other pack, Reno and Panda, but we haven’t been able to spot them yet.  Many of the large herds of elephant seem to have moved to another part of the park.  However, I have seen a few new animals this week including the black-backed jackal (too fast to get a picture), grey duiker, purple-crested turaco, crowned lapwing, brown-headed and giant kingfishers, white stork, black-bellied bustard and a LEOPARD!  I have now seen all of the big 5 in the north end of this park J.

There aren’t many other people in camp, so it’s pretty quiet in the evening, but we had a braie last night and had a good time with the other group of researchers and park staff.  I did find out that I’ll be at this camp until the 29th and then I go to the camp in the south side of the park (iMfolozi) for 1 week, then back to Hluhluwe for 1 week before leaving this park altogether – at least that is the tentative plan.  I was also able to meet with Simon last Tuesday and came up with a plan for the GIS work – I’m very excited to begin that aspect and really feel like I’m contributing to the project goals.  I’ve already created 2 maps for a leopard study publication and will be working to clean-up their data spreadsheets so they can be spatially displayed on GIS.  There appears to be a lot of data at each camp that needs organized and standardized so it can be used properly on ArcMap.  Lucky for them I am the queen of organization J.  The camp manager I’m working with now is very excited to see a finished product, so that motivates me even more to know that they are really happy I’m here to help.

Thanks to those of you sending me emails – I love hearing from you.  I have been able to get the USB modem to work consistently at camp, so I am able to check email every night before bed.  It’s been wonderful hearing from you and I hope you continue to check in J.

Love and hugs to you all!

Bush treking in the area of the cheetah cub sighting - had such a good time but it was hard walking with lots of rocks, thorny trees and uneven ground.

Ranger, Joseph, and guide, Sabelo, walked with us to look for cheetah scented trees in the area where we saw the 2 subadult cheetah hunting.

Two subadult cheetah hunting on a hill near our camp site.  It was amazing to watch them stalk and run after the red duiker, even though they didn't kill it.

If you look closely in the middle of the picture, you can just make out the spotted rear end of the leopard we saw.  It walked across the road in front of us, but by the time we caught up to it it already disappeared in the thick brush.

Black-shouldered kite - as the sun was coming up one morning we saw this one finishing off a mouse it had just captured.

Black-bellied bustard - a rare sighting of a typically elusive ground bird.

Video of the wild dogs playing in the light of our headlights one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment